Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Canada Day!!!!


My top ten reasons why I love Canada...

10. The spelling... colour, favourite, behaviour

9. The poutine...this got me through my pregnancy. I was so sick but for some reason poutine was the only thing I could eat. It's also great for hang-overs!!

8. The people...the peace keeping, the looking out for each other, the ability to separate church from state!!!

7. Smarties & jelly tots!!

6. Gun Control Laws

5. The health care system. It's still not 100% perfect but it's still the one that I would choose!!

4. Keith's - need I say more?!?!?

3. The music of the east coast!

2. Freedom - ex. same sex marriage

1. ME!!!!

...you thought I was going to say Callum didn't you?!?!?! Well, he would be a 1.5 on my list!!!

Honourable mentions;

Our comedy...we are really funny people!!!!
Anne of Green Gables
The culture and history
The cleanliness
The geography & climate (yes, this includes snow and rain!)
If I drank coffee I would say Tim Hortons

Did you know that...

-the longest coastline of any country belongs to Canada.
-
Canada is the second largest country, in size, in the world.
-
the Bluenose schooner won the International Fisherman's Trophy for 18 years, from 1921 to 1938.
-
the comic "Superman" was created by a Canadian, Joe Shuster, who was born in Toronto in 1914.
-
Winnie the Pooh is Canadian.
-
Wayne Gretzky has the most points in NHL history.
-
the Canadarm on the Space Shuttle was made by Canadian scientists.
-
the Montreal Canadiens have won more Stanley Cups than any other team in the history of hockey.
-some Canadian inventions include; the zipper, ginger ale, the washing machine, standard time, goalie mask, retractable beer carton holders, pacemaker, insulin (as used for diabetes), insulation, frozen fish (?), lacrosse, the light bulb, IMAX, electric cooking range, disintegrating plastic, fog horn, heart valve operation, and portable highchair just to name a few.

I AM CANADIAN!!!!!



2 comments:

Kellan said...

Cool facts about Canada - Happy Canada Day. I do love the Canadian people.

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

It is a good thing I am not Canadian or that I do not live in Canada as I am quite certain that the Poutine would render me the size of a mini-van. It sounds way too good!