Monday, August 10, 2009

We Survived...with a phone call home of course!


Well, we have 2 days of big school under our belt and now into the first full week.

Day 1; I picked him up and everything was great! The whole car line thing down here is definitely something to see! He enjoyed his first day. In his class is a girl (cute, blonde) who was in his class two years a go in nursery school. Back then she went back and forth between Geordie and his friend. Now she goes to church with Geordie's friend so she is his friend's girlfriend. We'll see if that's the same by the end of the week.

We have been told that he needs to look good everyday because she is in his class.

Before I tell about day 2 I will try and explain about the discipline system in his class.
Everyone starts with a green stamp. This is Groovy Green, it means you have had a good day.
Proud Purple - you had an exceptionally great day!
Okay Orange - you have been talked to once.
Watch out White (I think) - you have been talked to again and during play time after lunch you have to do laps of the playground.
Yikes Yellow - your parents are called.
Boo Blue - office!

Now...

Day 2; Callum dropped him off in the car line. Everything went fine. Around 1:oo I get a phone call from his teacher. Yup...Geordie was on Yikes Yellow!

He was 'cutting up' (didn't think it would be appropriate to ask what that was at the time, figured it meant messing around and asked a friend later on) not listening, etc...

The teacher said that usually there are a couple of children who test them in the first week of school (for us day 2!). They just want to get a handle on things right away. She was incredibly apologetic. As we all know, Geordie is beyond a tester (he had a letter home in his first week last year at nursery school as well, same deal...seeing how far he can go) and he needs to be put in his place right away or he will keep trying.

Then I had to talk to Geordie. He was upset;

Geordie: "Mummy?"

Me: "Geordie, what's going on?"

Geordie: "I don't know." (through tears)

Me: "Well, why aren't you listening?" Totally nice voice

Geordie: "I don't know. (again, through tears) I don't want to be here. I just want to be home with you forever!"

Me: "OKAY!!! I'll come and get you and you can stay with me forever! You'll never have to go to that bad school again!!!"

Seriously?!?! Do you think I said that?!?!
Of course I didn't!!!! But it didn't stop me from thinking it!!!!

Went on to tell him that going to school is like Daddy going to work and reminded him what he likes about it. Also the whole love you but disappointed, yadda, yadda, yadda...

When I picked him up an hour and a half later. All was well!

Callum and I discussed it and we felt that he was disciplined enough...this time! If it happens again, he won't be so lucky!

That evening when I was talking to Geordie;

Me: "Geordie, did you do laps during your play time outside?"

Geordie: "Oh yes, we ran them."

Me: "WE?!?! Who else?"

Geordie: "Me and 'the girl'!"


...and so it begins!!!!


------------






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw.. I don't blame him for wanting to stay home forever. I do, too.

Mandy said...

Girls already. Yeesh. I have two boys to live through with this...

much more than a mom said...

Wow, he's spunky! That will do him so well in the long run if it's channeled properly. Have fun with school - I'm sure you'll have some great stories!

Chantal said...

He's an athlete and a ladies man! Go Gordie!